Stitch and Click

Welcome to my life (or at least the interesting bits, which probably relate to photography or knitting)

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, April 13, 2007

Yummy food

I've been taking pics of various meals and cupcakes over the past couple months, and have finally posted a few of them on flickr.

The soup is the velvety carrot and ginger soup from The Candle Cafe Cookbook, and it was delicious. It's light but filling, and has a great flavour. I had enough for 3 or 4 meals, and brought it for lunch a couple times. The bread is the Honey Whole Wheat recipe from More With Less (I had some honey left that I'd bought a few years ago) and it was okay. I think I baked this one a couple minutes too long as the upper crust was a bit too dark (my bread pans aren't exactly the same size, and the smaller loaf was just a bit too dark). the flavour is fine, but not as good as some of the other recipes in the same book.


I decided to make an Indian meal last weekend (and was watching Supersize Me while cooking - how's that for motivation to make homecooked vegan meals?), and pulled out these recipes. I've made the chapatis before (from More With Less), and they're quick and easy to make, except the dough needs to sit for an hour between kneading and baking (which is fine if you let it do so while making something else). I cook them stovetop, using a cast iron pan.
The curry is from The Angelica Home Kitchen (curried chickpea and vegetable stew). I didn't have a few of the veggies it calls for (zucchini, celery, spinach), so I used a bit more of others (mainly, carrot, potato, and cauliflower) in addition to the chickpeas (cooked instead of from a can, for once). I remember liking this recipe more in the past - maybe it was the substitutions, but it ended up too thin/watery, and I had to reduce the remainder for a while which left the potatoes way too soft. The flavour was also lacking, though I used more spices than were called for, which again might have been because there weren't the other veggies adding flavour. That's what I get for not planning ahead and picking up the necessary ingredients.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home